November 29, 2004
Medical Marijuana Case Argued Today.
Just a reminder that the Supreme Court hears oral argument today in the case of Ashcroft v. Raich, No. 03-1454, the case that challenged John Ashcroft's attempt to nix the California medical marijuana law by playing the pre-emption trump card of the Controlled Substances Act. Here's a quick catalog of on-line resources:
- California's "medical marijuana law" (Health & Safety Code § 11362.5);
- Controlled Substances Act;
- complaint (PDF);
- 9th Circuit opinion (PDF);
- cert. petition of U.S. (PDF);
- Supreme Court's docket sheet in No. 03-1454; and
- petitioner's and respondent's principal merits briefs and government's reply brief (PDF)
- Today's Washington Post neatly summarizes the case.
- See also summary posted by Medill School of Journalism, Northwestern Univ.
- Google News search for "medical marijuana" (includes link to PBS' "Religion & Ethics Newsweekly" story (Nov. 19, 2004) and to good overview in the Nov. 29 issue of the Christian Science Monitor)
November 29, 2004 | Permalink