Family Law Prof Blog

Editor: Margaret Ryznar
Indiana University
Robert H. McKinney School of Law

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ryznar & Stepien-Sporek: "Child Support for Adult Children"

Margaret Ryznar & Anna Stepien Sporek have posted "Child Support for Adult Children" on SSRN. Here is the abstract:

Although family law requires parents to support their minor children, the question of post-majority support - or child support for adult children - is entirely different. Some states permit this type of child support, while others do not. Those affected by this divergence in approaches include college students, unemployed people, disabled people, and of course, their parents - at a time of financial difficulty for many. The approach of each jurisdiction to this issue rests on whether the family is viewed as a social support system and whether intergenerational obligations exist. To help analyze these questions, this Article uses a comparative approach, considering the relevant law and public policy of both Europe and the United States.


Scholarship, Family Law | Permalink

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Ryznar & Stepien-Sporek: "Child Support for Adult Children":


I can imagine circumstances where the adult child is mentally or physically incapacitated and the care giver would be in need of ungoing child support.

Posted by: Oklahoma City Divorce Attorneys | Aug 20, 2011 8:09:09 PM

Keep writing great tropics adult , thanks

Posted by: adult | Aug 21, 2011 8:09:23 AM

If a court determines it appropriate for parents to contribute to a child's post-secondary education, the family court judge may terminate any existing child support order and replace it with an order requiring the parents to contribute to the child's education expenses. By law, these expenses include college or vocational school tuition, books, and fees. Orders may also include payment for health insurance or medical expenses.

I think it would be interesting to know which category of expenses is most likely to be ordered and which is most likely to go into arrears. Thank you for an informative article.

Posted by: Dana Atman, Esq. | Aug 22, 2011 1:55:00 PM

My hope is that parents are stepping up to the plate for their adult children even without a court order.

Posted by: Divorce Lawyer Oklahoma City | Sep 19, 2011 7:28:27 PM

Post a comment