Family Law Prof Blog

Editor: Margaret Ryznar
Indiana University
Robert H. McKinney School of Law

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Nassau: "How to Split the Tax Baby: What Would Solomom Do?"

Robert Nassau (Syracuse Univ. School of Law) has posted "How to Split the Tax Baby: What Would Solomon Do?" (61 Syracuse L. Rev. 83 (2010)) on SSRN.  Here is the abstract:

For as long as taxpayers have been able to claim deductions or credits for their children, separated parents have argued over which of them is entitled to those benefits. In 1967, Congress enacted legislation to resolve these disputes. That legislation did not accomplish its objectives, so Congress revised those rules in 1984. With a minor tweak those rules remain in place today.

Under the current statute, the parent having custody for the greater portion of the year is generally entitled to the tax benefits. However, that “Custodial Parent” can transfer some of those benefits to the “Noncustodial Parent” by signing a written declaration, in such manner and form as the Treasury Department prescribes, stating that he will not claim the benefits.

For twenty-five years, the Treasury Department allowed an unconditional divorce decree or separation agreement to serve as the written declaration necessary for transferring tax benefits. Abruptly, however, in 2008, the Treasury Department issued new Regulations under which divorce decrees and separation agreements are no longer acceptable. Now, the Noncustodial Parent must obtain a signed Internal Revenue Service Form from the Custodial Parent in order to qualify for the tax benefits – even in cases where the decree or agreement – binding under State law – provides that the Noncustodial Parent is entitled to the benefits.

This Article will explain why there was no reasonable justification for changing the Regulations, and why the Regulations will create unexpected, unnecessary, unreasonable, and difficult-to-surmount problems for Noncustodial Parents. The new Regulations are plain bad and should be repealed.


Scholarship, Family Law | Permalink

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Nassau: "How to Split the Tax Baby: What Would Solomom Do?":


In Oklahoma Divorce Court, the standard practice is to alternate every year. Mom will claim the children as a tax deduction for the even numbered years and dad will claim the children as a tax deduction for odd numbered years...generally speaking, the practice works well.

Posted by: Tulsa Divorce Attorney | Mar 28, 2011 5:05:32 PM

Post a comment