Saturday, January 14, 2012
- The White House proposed moving the National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration into the Department of the Interior.
- A new study has offered a possible explanation of why the oil leaking from the Deepwater Horizon disaster dissipated so quickly.
- President Obama announced a National Ocean Policy action plan.
- The Supreme Court heard oral argument in the wetlands / property rights case, Sackett v. EPA.
- The NRC argued to the D.C. Circuit that Congressional funding cuts forced it to halt review of the proposed Yucca Mountain high-level nuclear waste storage facility.
- Representatives of the Nuclear Energy Institute, the nuclear industry’s trade organization, proposed voluntary safeguards for U.S. plants to address some of the hazards exposed by last year’s explosion at Fukushima Daiichi.
- Interior announced a ban on new mining near the Grand Canyon for the next 20 years.