Monday, January 30, 2012
* President Obama's State of the Union Address and reactions to it involved significant discussion of energy and transition to cleaner sources.
* As environmental concerns continue to rise about the recent cruise ship accident off the coast of Italy while rough seas delayed fuel pumping from the ship, two shipping companies are sentenced in district court in Baltimore for enviromental crimes and obstruction of justice.
* British scientists reported that an expanding large pool of fresh water in the Arctic Ocean could decrease temperatures in Europe if winds shift and cause it to enter the North Atlantic.
* The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) issued its first pilot project license for a tidal energy project located in New York City’s East River.
* Houston became the latest city to join the Department of Energy's Better Buildings Challenge, which aims to increase energy efficiency 20 percent by 2020 in commercial, government, and school buildings across the country.
* The Southern Environmental Law Center released its 2012 Top 10 Endangered Places in the Southeast.