Saturday, May 2, 2009
*Emergency Operations Center (EOC) – PAHOPage 1
For public distribution
Saturday, May 02, 2009 6pm EST
EOC SITUATION REPORT #9
• The situation continues to evolve, 16 countries have officially reported 677 confirmed cases
of the new Influenza A/H1N1.
• Outside the Americas, the following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases
with no deaths: Austria (1), China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1), Denmark
(1), France (2), Germany (6), Israel (3), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (4), Republic of
Korea (1), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (15).
• Sustained human-to-human transmission has remained only in Mexico and USA, therefore
phase 5 continues to be in effect.
• The World Health Assembly (WHA) is scheduled in Geneva as planned (18-27 May 2009).
• As of today, WHO has decided to refer to the virus as Influenza A/H1N1.
Status of the Region
• Mexico: 397 confirmed cases, including 16 deaths. There has been an increase in total
confirmed cases in Mexico mostly due to testing of backlogged cases. At the same time, the
number of probable cases appears to be decreasing in the Mexico City area.
• The United States: 160 confirmed cases, including 1 death.
• Canada: 70 confirmed cases; some with recent travel history to Mexico.
• Costa Rica: 1 confirmed case with recent travel history to Mexico.
• A daily epidemiological report is posted on the PAHO website1; updated epidemiological
reports from Mexico can be found on the Dirección General de Epidemiología2.