January 19, 2009
Fast track climate change
Obama can make a number of executive decisions to immediately address climate change. The favorites of environmentalists are:
* Direct U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to let California and other states regulate greenhouse gas pollutants from cars.
* Direct EPA to regulate greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide from power plants.
* Offer national carbon reduction targets.
* Direct Transportation Department to set aggressive auto fuel-efficiency targets for 2011-2015 model years.
* Make government procurement changes to increase federal use of alternative energy, building efficiency -- and put solar panels on the White House.
I look to Jackson, not Obama, to announce the first two. The last two seem like an executive order later in February. The targets need to be discussed with Congress -- we might start by realigning the discussion ala Hansen's 1 degree, 350 ppm target.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Fast track climate change: