Monday, September 16, 2013
National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care publishes "Hall of Flame"--SNFs lacking adequate fire sprinkler systems
Consumer Voice has published a list of nursing homes that are currently non-sprinklered or partially sprinklered. Below are ways in which consumers and advocates can hold these facilities accountable and let the public know what homes are NOT providing residents with basic fire safety.
For citizen advocacy groups, ombudsman programs and individual advocates
· Publish the list on your website
· Print the list in your newsletter
· Email the list to your network, friends, family
· Send the list to your local newspaper
· Give the list to potential nursing home residents and their families
For future nursing home residents and their families
· Avoid homes on the list if possible
· If you need to consider one of these homes, ask the administration or staff these three questions:
o Why aren’t you fully sprinklered since you’ve had 5 years to prepare?
o When WILL you be fully sprinklered?
o What are you doing to protect residents until you’re fully sprinklered?
For current nursing home residents and their families
· Ask the three questions above.
- GAO Report, Nursing Home Fire Safety: Recent Fires Highlight Weaknesses in Federal Standards and Oversight (2004)
- USA Today Article, Many Nursing Homes Run Risk of Catastrophic Fires (by Peter Eisler, 2005)