Tuesday, March 18, 2008
National Healthcare Decisions Day is less than one month away. April 16 is the day, be there or be square. There will be particicipation of some sort in every single state, as well as Puerto Rico and internationally (thanks to the U.S. Army)! If you haven't done so recently, please take a look at extraordinary list of those participating in this event: http://www.nationalhealthcaredecisionsday.org/participants.htm
As we gear up for April 16, please consider doing the following:
* First and foremost: lead by example. Encourage to each of your members/staffs to execute their own advance directives before April 16, so they will be in the best position to help others with theirs. With this alone, we can reach millions. This is also a great opportunity to remind your members/staff of your existing resources on advance directives.
* Consider some of the activities ideas found at: http://www.nationalhealthcaredecisionsday.org/takeaction/organize_community Remember, there are FREE templates of newsletters, a community presentation, sticker and poster templates, and more. Please also consider collaborative events with other participants (see list above).
* Reach out to your media contacts. Let them know what your organization/facility is doing and encourage them to run a story on National Healthcare Decisions Day.
* Complete the brief survey if you haven't already done so: http://www.nationalhealthcaredecisionsday.org/survey Also, please pass along the survey to others.
* Keep the buzz up and help us recruit even more participants by spreading the word about this event with friends, colleagues, and organizations. They can confirm their participation at: http://www.nationalhealthcaredecisionsday.org/takeaction/join_us Also, please don't limit this to healthcare/legal organizations; we want civic and religious organizations spreading the word about the importance of advance healthcare planning, too.