Friday, June 20, 2014
Request for Information (RFI) on Significant Disproportionality
The U.S. Department of Education (Department) published an RFI in the June 19, 2014 Federal Register requesting public comment on the actions that the Department should take to address significant disproportionality based on race and ethnicity in special education.
The Department is requesting input from the public on actions the Department should take related to:
- significant disproportionality based on race and ethnicity in the:
- identification of children as children with disabilities, including identification by disability category;
- placement of children with disabilities in particular educational settings; and
- the incidence, duration, and type of disciplinary action taken with respect to children with disabilities; and
- ensuring that funds reserved for comprehensive, coordinated early intervening services under Part B of the IDEA are used to effectively address significant disproportionality.
The RFI includes information about how to submit public comments. Responses must be received by July 21, 2014.
Link to OSERS Page: http://www2.ed.gov/policy/speced/guid/idea/disproportionality.html