CrimProf Blog

Editor: Kevin Cole
Univ. of San Diego School of Law

A Member of the Law Professor Blogs Network

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Seven Funeral Homes Charged With Stealing Human Tissue

From NYTImes.com: Helping to bolster and expand an investigation of a human tissue harvesting operation, seven funeral home directors have pleaded guilty to criminal charges, agreeing to cooperate, and 14 more bodies have been found surgically plundered, Brooklyn prosecutors said yesterday.

Charles J. Hynes, the Brooklyn district attorney, declined to identify the cooperating funeral home directors or to disclose the charges against them. He has alluded in court papers to an operation spanning the Northeast, and the new accusations formally broaden the case to include mortuaries in Manhattan, the Bronx and Rochester.

The case has been publicized worldwide. Macabre headlines styling the original defendants as “Body Snatchers” dominated New York tabloids for months as the case developed. In December, more publicity was generated when it was disclosed that the body of the British journalist Alistair Cooke, who died at his home in Manhattan in 2004, had been surgically plundered.

“It is clear,” Mr. Hynes said at a news conference yesterday, “that many more funeral home directors were involved in this enterprise.” Rest of Article. . . [Mark Godsey]

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/crimprof_blog/2006/10/seven_funeral_h.html

News | Permalink

TrackBack URL for this entry:

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341bfae553ef00d835362cbf53ef

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Seven Funeral Homes Charged With Stealing Human Tissue:

Comments

Post a comment