July 25, 2006
Violence Among Youth is Spreading in Nashville
From Tennessean.com:Nashville police chief Ronal Serpas recently called violence among area youth a disease that needs immediate treatment.
"The facts have to be known so we can identify the symptoms and deal with the disease," Chief Ronal Serpas said Saturday. "Violence is a disease — insidious, malignant disease. We've got to find a way to have adults take the stand and say: 'I'm not going to let my kid go to the mall with a gun in their pocket.'
According to Serpas' Speech:
- This year, 77 Nashville teens, ages 14-17, have been arrested 93 times for robbery.
- Ninety percent of them had been in police custody before.
- Nine of the juveniles already had been arrested for murder.
- 22 had prior criminal records for carrying weapons illegally.
- Fifty-four had been arrested previously for assault.
Rest of Article. . . [Mark Godsey]
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Violence Among Youth is Spreading in Nashville: