February 11, 2009
Position Announcement: Investor Rights Clinic Fellow at Pace Law
The Investor Rights Clinic at Pace University School of Law, which represents investors with small, arbitrable disputes with their securities brokers and/or brokerage firms, is seeking a Clinical Law Fellow to assist in the supervision and management of the Investor Rights Clinic caseload, and to work on investor justice and education projects. The position offers a unique opportunity to work with law students on behalf of investors of modest means who have arbitrable securities disputes with their brokers and/or brokerage firms arising out of their trading accounts. Clinic supervisors work with students to enhance their skills in legal research and writing, interviewing and counseling clients, navigating the arbitration process, mediating disputes, commenting on regulatory rule proposals on behalf of the small investor, and negotiating with adversaries. For a more detailed description of the clinic’s work, download the brochure.
The Clinical Law Fellow will be appointed to the position as Staff Attorney of John Jay Legal Services, Inc., the not-for-profit corporation that operates legal clinics at Pace Law School. The Fellow will work in close collaboration with the Investor Rights Clinic’s Director and Supervising Attorneys and will help to manage the clinic’s caseload. During the academic year, the work will primarily consist of helping to supervise student work on behalf of the clinic’s clients. During breaks in the academic calendar, the Fellow will be expected to assume more direct responsibility for clients. The Fellow also will be expected to assist in developing cases, refining teaching materials and the continuing development of the program. This is a full-time, 12-month appointment, which is grant-funded and not renewable.
The Clinical Law Fellow may participate in the intellectual life of the Law School and pursue his or her professional goals in conjunction with the Clinic Director, including opportunities for scholarship. The Clinical Law Fellow also will be invited to workshop papers with the faculty and is welcome to attend all events, lectures, colloquia, symposia, moots, and faculty workshops and conferences.
• J.D., and at least one year of relevant securities arbitration practice in a securities arbitration clinic or in a private setting.
• Strong academic record and/or other indicia of high performance ability.
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest work.
• Must be (or become by September 2009) admitted to practice law in New York and remain in good standing of the bars of all jurisdictions of admission.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Familiarity with the law and process of securities arbitration;
• Basic understanding of the law governing the obligations of brokers to their customers;
• Excellent coordination and organizational skills, and meticulous attention to detail;
• Ability to work independently and supervise and coordinate the work of others;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Excellent research and writing skills; and
• Ability to work with a wide range of people, including students, clients, attorneys, regulators and industry representatives.
Pace University is an Equal Employment and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/H/V, committed to ensuring a diverse learning and working environment. Female and minority candidates of all types are encouraged to apply.
Salary: $50,000 salary for twelve months, plus all benefits available to a full-time University employee. This is a one year grant-funded position and is not renewable.
To Apply: Interested applicants should send a: (a) cover letter with a statement of interest, (b) resume, (c) and recent writing sample of 10 pages or less to:
Ms. Florie Friedman, Clinic Administrator
John Jay Legal Services, Inc.
Pace University School of Law
80 N. Broadway
White Plains, NY 10603
Or, submit electronically with “Investor Rights Clinic Fellow” in the subject line.
Deadline: No later than March 15, 2009. Applications may be considered on a rolling basis.
Start Date: May 26, 2009.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Position Announcement: Investor Rights Clinic Fellow at Pace Law :