January 20, 2009
Position Announcement: The Schaden Endowed Chair in Experiential Learning at Colorado Law
Professor Deborah Cantrell, the Director of Clinical Programs at Colorado Law, has issued the following position announcement:
Thanks to a substantial endowment, Colorado Law is establishing an expanded experiential learning program under the creative direction of an experienced practitioner-professor. Applications from and referrals to highly qualified candidates for the chair are eagerly solicited.
Experiential Learning: Colorado Law is committed to providing its students an outstanding legal education that ensures they are prepared to enter the legal profession. To do so, we are refining our approach to teaching practical and professional skills. We propose to expand, enhance, and coordinate the courses and activities in which a law student applies knowledge and analytical abilities through the use of lawyering skills and instill in our students an awareness of a lawyer’s civic responsibilities and opportunities to serve and lead. This will require, among other things, integration of experiential education in selected classes throughout the Law School and coordination of existing experiential programs with one another and with the full curriculum. Our goal is to create the best experiential education program in the nation. Experiential learning at Colorado includes: nine clinical programs; basic and advanced Trial Advocacy courses; externships in law offices of private firms, public agencies, and non-profits and in judicial chambers; numerous trial and appellate court competitions; and a new, voluntary public service pledge program.
Duties: The Schaden Chair will develop, coordinate, and sustain a first-rate and fully integrated Experiential Learning program at Colorado Law. Specifically, the Chair will:
· Advise and oversee faculty, program directors, and students in all components of the program.
· Teach one course a semester, such as in Trial Advocacy, Professional Responsibility and Ethics, or Clinical Education.
· Perform administrative duties, including curriculum development, fund-raising, faculty support, and student counseling. This will include oversight of the content and delivery of the Law School’s externship program, coordination of all trial and appellate court student competitions, and promotion and administration of the public service pledge program. Working with and through the Director of Clinical Programs, the Chair will continue to build the strength and quality of clinical education.
· Engage in substantial outreach, including recruiting and engaging volunteer and adjunct practitioners to participate in programs including Trial Advocacy teaching and coaching and judging court competitions, developing opportunities with public and private law offices for student externships, and working with non-profit organizations and public agencies to advance the pro bono pledge program.
· Serve as the faculty liaison charged with elevating the visibility and quality of practical and service education
· Assist in integrating experiential components of the curriculum in the School’s doctrinal and theoretical teaching mission.
· Coordinate experiential opportunities with law school departments such as Career Development, Academic Affairs, and Development.
· Continue pursuing a scholarly agenda in a chosen field.
Qualifications: The Chair must be:
· An experienced trial lawyer; appellate experience is also desirable.
· A legal educator with a record of scholarship and teaching that is worthy of tenure at Colorado Law. Teaching experience is ideally in fields such as Trial Advocacy, Evidence, Trial Practice, clinical education, or Professional Responsibility.
· An individual with a personal and professional character that inspires students to use their legal education and their privileges as lawyers to serve clients and advance society with excellence, commitment, and integrity.
Please direct applications and inquiries to: Dean David H. Getches University of Colorado Law School 401 UCB Boulder, Colorado 80309-0401.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Position Announcement: The Schaden Endowed Chair in Experiential Learning at Colorado Law: