Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Symposium at Southwestern Law School: Transnational Litigation and Civil Procedure (Los Angeles, Feb. 3, 2012)
On Friday, February 3, 2012, Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles, California and the Southwestern Journal of International Law is hosting a symposium titled Our Courts and the World: Transnational Litigation and Civil Procedure. The symposium is co-sponsored by the American Society of International Law, the Junior International Law Scholars Association (JILSA), the Los Angeles County Bar Association - International Law Section, and the State Bar of California - International Law Section.
This one-day symposium will bring together leading scholars from Canada and the United States to discuss the procedural issues that arise in transnational civil litigation cases. It will also assess how receptive courts are to transnational litigation and explore issues related to transnational class actions. The proceedings and papers from this symposium will be published in the Southwestern Journal of International Law.
WHEN: Friday, February 3, 2012, 9:00 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.
WHERE: Southwestern Law School, Los Angeles, California
Panelists include (in alphabetical order):
- Samuel P. Baumgartner, Professor of Law, University of Akron School of Law
- Vaughan Black, Professor of Law, Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law
- Gary B. Born, Partner, WilmerHale, Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School
- Stephen B. Burbank, David Berger Professor for the Administration of Justice, University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Montré D. Carodine, Associate Professor of Law, University of Alabama School of Law
- Donald Earl Childress III, Associate Professor of Law, Pepperdine University School of Law
- Paul R. Dubinsky, Associate Professor of Law, Wayne State University Law School
- Allan Ides, Christopher N. May Professor of Law, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
- Thomas Orin Main, Professor of Law, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- Erin O’Hara O’Connor, Professor of Law and Director of Graduate Studies, Law & Economics PhD Program, Vanderbilt Law School
- Cassandra Burke Robertson, Associate Professor, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Linda J. Silberman, Martin Lipton Professor of Law, New York University School of Law
- Linda Sandstrom Simard, Professor of Law, Suffolk University Law School
- Adam N. Steinman, Professor of Law and Michael J. Zimmer Fellow, Seton Hall University School of Law
- Janet Walker, Professor of Law, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Rhonda Wasserman, Professor of Law, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- William E. Thomson, Partners, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- James H. Broderick, Jr., Partner, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey LLP
- Marcus S. Quintanilla, Counsel, O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ray D. Weston Jr., Vice President and General Counsel, Taco Bell Corp.
- Austen Parrish, Professor of Law and Vice Dean, Southwestern Law School
- Christopher A. Whytock, Acting Professor of Law and Political Science, University of California, Irvine