Friday, April 20, 2007
I have received the following announcement:
The ABA's China Program is currently accepting applications for a Program Officer position in our Beijing office. Please see the announcement below for further details, and feel free to forward to anyone who might be interested.
SEEKING APPLICANTS FOR PROGRAM OFFICER POSITION IN BEIJING OFFICE
The American Bar Association (ABA) seeks candidates for a Chinese legal PROGRAM OFFICER position in the Beijing program implementation office of the ABA Rule of Law Initiative.
The ABA Rule of Law Initiative is a public service project that provides technical assistance in support of legal reforms in over 40 countries around the world. ABA's program office in Beijing, with support from Washington, D.C.-based staff, supports a variety of legal reform and legal training projects in mainland China, with a particular focus on issues of public interest law, criminal justice, and good governance.
The new Program Officer, working under the supervision of ABA's China Director and Deputy Director, will be responsible for managing and implementing law-related cooperative training, symposium, research, and networking projects with Chinese institutions and organizations. The position entails management of financial and administrative aspects of cooperative projects and subgrants; monitoring and reporting on project activities and project impact; conducting research, monitoring media reports and attending conferences and meetings to follow important legal developments related to current and potential future projects; developing new program initiatives; legal research and analysis related to project and office needs; and such other duties as may be assigned from time to time. The work requires an ability to manage multiple projects at the same time; the project portfolio for this position is expected to include environmental law, criminal law, labor law and property law. Travel within China is required as necessary for meetings and program activities.
- Chinese law degree and foreign JD or other graduate law degree
- Fluent in both Mandarin and English
- Ability to maintain and develop relationships with high-level Chinese government officials, bar association leaders, local and international NGOs, and legal academics
- Excellent legal analytical and organizational skills
- Strong sense of responsibility and ability to work independently
- Ability to multi-task and to keep the Directors fully informed of program developments
- Commitment to public interest work
- Previous experience managing NGO projects or government exchange and cooperation projects
More information about the ABA Rule of Law Initiative China program is available at www.abarol.com. Interested candidates should send a cover note in English explaining their interest and qualifications, along with a brief (1-2 page maximum) resume in English by email to Ms. Ding Xia at: email@example.com. Candidates will only be contacted if invited for an interview.