Monday, December 25, 2006
Here are the first responses to a request I sent out on the Chinalaw listserv a while ago, in which I asked Chinese law firms interested in having interns to send me some basic information on what they were looking for and what they were offering. (Full text of message appended below; other law firms encouraged to respond.)
- Globe Law Firm, Beijing
- Liu and Wang, Shenzhen
- Wincon (Qingdao) (added Jan. 24, 2007)
- Llinks (Beijing & Shanghai) (added Jan. 24, 2007)
Text of original announcement:
Periodically I ask for information from Chinese lawyers who would be interested in having foreign law students as interns (paid or unpaid) over the summer. It's time to update this information. If you're at a Chinese law firm and your firm would be willing to have such interns, please send me an email (off line) letting me know and I'll post the information both on my blog and on this list. Please attach a file in Word, PDF, or HTML format with the following information (*please* don't just tell me in the text of the email, because then I will have to do the work of copying it into a separate file):
1. Firm name and contact person.
2. Time period for which you would like to have a student intern (e.g., "summer 2007"; "any period of at least three months", etc.)
3a. We will assume the candidate has excellent English. Is good Chinese language ability required?
3b. In some countries law is an undergraduate degree, whereas in others it's a post-graduate degree. Please state if you want only post-graduate law students (e.g., JD students in the US).
4. How much, if anything, can you provide in terms of salary, airfare, and housing? (Even if you can't provide anything here, please still let me know if you're willing to take interns - some might be able to find their own funding.)
5. I don't want to make this too complicated, but if possible, please include a general description of the type of work the intern might do.
The first four items are the minimum information I think will be needed - of course, you are welcome to provide more.
Again, please respond off line. I'll compile and distribute the responses.