Saturday, April 5, 2014
NET Institute Conference on Network Economics NET Institute; Institute for Business Innovation, Haas School of Business UC Berkeley Friday, May 9, 2014 from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM (PDT) Berkeley, CA
Sponsored by the NET Institute, http://www.NETinst.org/ and
the Institute for Business Innovation, Haas School of Business
May 9, 2014
Wells Fargo Room, Haas School of Business [MAP]
8:30-9:00 Continental Breakfast
9:00-9:15 Introductory Remarks
Nicholas Economides, Executive Director, NET Institute, Stern School of Business, NYU & Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
9:15-11:00 Two-sided markets
Chairman: Nicholas Economides, Stern School of Business, NYU and Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1. Lapo Filistrucchi and Tobias J. Klein, Tilburg University, Price Competition in Two-Sided Markets with Heterogeneous Consumers and Network Effects, NET Institute Working Paper #13-20.
Discussant: Przemek Jeziorski, UC Berkeley.
2. Itai Ater, Tel Aviv University and Eugene Orlov, Compass Lexecon, The Effect of the Internet on Performance and Quality: Evidence from the Airline Industry, NET Institute Working Paper #13-07.
Discussant: and Byung-Cheol Kim, Georgia Institute of Technology [Presentation]
3. Aaron Bodoh-Creed, University of California at Berkeley, Jorn Boehnke (Speaker), University of Chicago and Brent R. Hickman, University of Chicago, Optimal Design of Two-Sided Market Platforms: An Empirical Case Study of eBay, NET Institute Working Paper #13-22
Discussant: Anton Badev, Federal Reserve Bank, San Francisco
11:15-1:00 Network Neutrality, Regulatory Issues and Network Formation
Chairman: Michael Katz, UC Berkeley
1. Jay Pil Choi, Michigan State University, Doh-Shin Jeon, Toulouse School of Economics & CEPR and Byung-Cheol Kim (Speaker), Georgia Institute of Technology, Asymmetric Neutrality Regulation and Innovation at the Edges: Fixed vs. Mobile Networks, NET Institute Working Paper #13-24.
Discussant: Glenn Woroch, UC Berkeley.
2. Jin-Hyuk Kim (Speaker), University of Colorado at Boulder, and Tin Cheuk Leung, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Quantifying the Impacts of Digital Rights Management and E-Book Pricing on the E-Book Reader Market, NET Institute Working Paper #13-03. [Presentation]
Discussant: Minjung Park, UC Berkeley
Discussant: Hanna Halaburda, Bank of Canada
2:15-4:00 Network Marketplaces, Intermediaries, and Social Issues on Networks
Discussant: Miguel Villas-Boas, UC Berkeley.
2. Panos Markopoulos (Speaker), University of Cyprus and Kartik Hosanagar, University of Pennsylvania, A Model of Product Design and Information Disclosure Investments, NET Institute Working Paper #13-25.
Discussant: Ying-Ju Chen, UC Berkeley.
3. Jason Chan (Speaker), Anindya Ghose and Robert Seamans, Stern School of Business, NYU, The Internet and Hate Crime: Offline Spillovers from Online Access, NET Institute Working Paper #13-02.
Discussant: Sridhar Narayanan, Stanford GSB.
4:00-5:30 Cheese and Wine Reception
To attend the conference it is required that you RSVP at http://netinst2014.eventbrite.com/