Thursday, December 15, 2011
Posted by D. Daniel Sokol
ASSISTANT CHIEF (GS-905-15)
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
FOREIGN COMMERCE SECTION
About the Office: The U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, is seeking a highly qualified attorney to serve in a two-year term position as Assistant Chief of its Foreign Commerce Section. This term may be extended beyond its initial two years. If not extended, the individual will transition to an attorney position with the Division. The Foreign Commerce Section is responsible for:
- advising Senior Division officials on the development of Division policy on international enforcement and cooperation issues, its relationships with other antitrust agencies around the world and with multilateral organizations such as Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development and the International Competition Network.
- assisting the Division's litigating sections in their matters with international aspects and facilitating law enforcement and other cooperation between the Antitrust Division and other antitrust agencies internationally.
Major Duties: As Assistant Chief of the Foreign Commerce Section, the incumbent’s major duties and responsibilities include: assisting in the development and management of the Antitrust Division's policy on international competition enforcement and cooperation issues; assisting in fostering relations between the Antitrust Division and other antitrust enforcement agencies around the world (including the Americas, Europe, Asia and elsewhere); working with senior officials and employees of the Division on the international aspects of their investigations, and helping to develop the Division's international cooperation practices in our globalizing world; as well as supervising a staff of attorneys, paralegals, and support and assisting with hiring decisions and performance evaluation. [Foreign language skills, in particular French, German, Mandarin, or Spanish are desirable but not essential.]
Qualifications: Applicants must:
1) Possess a J.D. degree or equivalent, be an active member of the bar in good standing (any U.S. jurisdiction), have at least four years of post-J.D. experience, and be a U.S. citizen;
2) have demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience;
3) have significant experience with international antitrust enforcement;
4) have experience in overseeing the development of antitrust cases and reviewing the work product of attorneys;
5) have familiarity with domestic and international regulatory and investigative agencies associated with competition issues; and
6) have the ability to help formulate and implement Antitrust Division policies on all matters pertaining to the assigned areas.
Salary Information: Candidates are being solicited at the GS-15 level, ranging in pay from $123,758 - $155,500 per annum, depending on current salary and experience.
Location: Washington, DC
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses will not be authorized.
Deadline and Submission Process: Applications must be received no later than January 6, 2012. Prior applicants for this position will remain under consideration and do not need to reapply. For consideration, please list the source of the advertisement to which you are applying, and submit a cover letter (highlighting relevant experience) and a resume (e-mail preferred) to:
Attention: Karen Jung
Department of Justice/Antitrust Division
450 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20530
For additional information about this position, please contact:
Phone: (202) 514-8885
Internet Sites: Additional information on the Antitrust Division is located on the Internet at http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/. This and selected other legal position announcements can be found at www.usdoj.gov/oarm/attvacancies.html.