Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Global Conference on Third-Party Financing of Litigation Wednesday, November 9 and Thursday, November 10, 2011
Posted by D. Daniel Sokol
The Searle Civil Justice Institute (SCJI) at George Mason University’s Law & Economics Center is hosting a global conference on Third-Party Financing of Litigation to be held at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place on Wednesday, November 9 and Thursday, November 10, 2011. The conference will begin early afternoon on Wednesday and conclude by early afternoon on Thursday. A cocktail reception will be held on Wednesday evening.
This second of two policy conferences will feature the work product of SCJI’s public policy initiative entitled Third-Party Financing of Litigation: Civil Justice Friend or Foe? SCJI has commissioned ten papers by leading international scholars to evaluate the legal and economic issues likely to arise with the expansion of third-party financing of litigation. Particular attention is paid to the potential impact of third-party financing on economic growth and free enterprise systems throughout the world.
In addition to the participating scholars, the conference will feature legal practitioners, financiers, and others with an interest in third-party financing of litigation. By bringing together a group of leading scholars and front-line practitioners, SCJI hopes to stimulate an informative and balanced discussion of third-party financing and potential policy concerns.
There is no registration fee. Please click here to register online.
Contact: Scott Hazelgrove
Participating scholars for this conference are:
- Joanna Shepherd Bailey, Associate Professor of Law, Emory University School of Law
- George Barker, Director, Centre for Law and Economics, The Australian National University
- Michelle Boardman, Assistant Professor of Law, George Mason University School of Law
- Alexander Bruns, Director of the Institute for German and Foreign Civil Procedural Law, Freiburg University
- Jef De Mot, Professor of Law, Center for Advanced Studies in Law and Economics at Ghent University
- Michael Faure, Professor of Law, Erasmus University Rotterdam School of Law and Maastricht University
- Keith N. Hylton, The Honorable Paul J. Liacos Professor of Law, Boston University School of Law
- Jeremy Kidd, Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, George Mason University School of Law
- Geoffrey J. Lysaught, Deputy Executive Director, Law & Economics Center
- Ianika Tzankova, Professor of Comparative Mass Litigation, Tilburg Law School
- Cento Veljanovski, Managing Partner, Case Associates, London; IEA Fellow in Law and Economics; Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Regulatory & Market Analysis, University of South Australia
Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Plac
5 Rue Duquesnoy
1000 Brussels, Belgium
To make a reservation, please call the Royal Windsor Hotel at +32 2 505 5555, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and mention the conference in order to receive the conference rate.
Brussels, Belgium – Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place (http://www.royalwindsorbrussels.com/)