Friday, August 10, 2018
VACANT POSITION – ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF ACADEMIC SUCCESS
St. Thomas University School of Law is seeking an Assistant Professor of Academic Success.
The ideal candidate will have experience teaching in a law school, managing people and schedules, and working in a team to help guide students in their pursuits of academic and professional achievement.
JOB SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Job duties may include and are not limited to:
- Help the academic success team coordinate and implement supplemental first-year courses, including legal skills workshops and other academic related workshops
- Help students acclimate to and succeed in law school through one-on-one meetings; special focus on students deemed at risk
- Develop and monitor academic plans and recovery plans for individual students
- Act as a liaison between the students, faculty, and staff for academic issues
- Manage peer-to-peer (Academic Success Fellows) program and Skills Center
- Teach established Academic and Legal Skills curriculum (
- Provide programming and assistance for Bar Exam test takers before and after graduation
- May require weekend and after-hours work based on program and student needs
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS:
- J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- Minimum of 5 years practice or judicial clerkship experience
- Good standing with the Florida bar or another state bar
- Excellent writing, speaking, and organizational skills
- Strong teaching, interpersonal and counseling skills
- The ability to think imaginatively and critically about techniques to improve our law students’ academic
development and bar passage, and to design, implement and manage innovative programs to assist
adult learners in reaching their potential
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based approach to course design and implementation.
- The ability to work well with a diverse student body, including cultural awareness and understanding of
Different learning styles
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under deadlines
- Highest ethical and professional standards and proven ability to exercise exemplary judgment
- Willing/able to work some evenings and weekends
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your resume, letter of interest detailing your qualifications, a writing sample, and contact information for three professional references to Associate Dean Tamara Lawson at email@example.com.
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits.