Friday, June 22, 2018
Job Description - Director, Academic Achievement & Bar Preparation
The John Marshall Law School, located in Chicago, is seeking an experienced Director for its Academic Achievement & Bar Preparation Program. This is a fulltime staff position beginning immediately or as negotiated. This appointment is for twelve months with renewable one year terms.
The Director will report directly to the Associate Dean for Academic Achievement, Institutional Assessment, and Bar Preparation. The Director will oversee the daily operations of the academic support and bar preparation programs, including supervising and training academic support and bar preparation staff. Additional responsibilities include:
• Collaborate with the Associate Dean in developing short and long term goals and objectives for the academic support and bar preparation programs.
• Collaborate with the Associate Dean in assessing and if necessary, redesigning any existing courses, workshops, or programs for the academic support and bar preparation programs.
• Develop and manage all academic support and bar preparation workshops, programs, and events.
• Collaborate with the Associate Dean in developing the curriculum and teaching of the 1L Expert Learning courses in the fall and spring semesters.
• Plan, develop, coordinate, and teach the bar preparation courses in the fall and spring semesters.
• Plan, develop, coordinate, teach workshops, and direct programs, such as the Bar Boot Camp, and work directly with recent graduates in the bar preparation program.
• Counsel and assist law students and graduates on law school and bar exam success. Many of our students are from diverse backgrounds and are first generation law students.
• Review and provide meaningful feedback on practice exams and other formative assessment exercises submitted by law students and graduates.
• Train and supervise adjunct faculty and staff who work in the academic support and bar preparation programs.
• Stay abreast and regularly update the deans and faculty of best practices and trends in law school academic support and bar preparation programs.
• Communicate and coordinate with and stay abreast of the recent trends in commercial bar review programs.
• JD required.
• Admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
• At least five years of experience in academic support and bar preparation at a law school, preferably at least three years in a director’s capacity.
• Works collaboratively with members of a professional team;
• Excellent and patient listener;
• Interacts with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
• Diagnoses student challenges with a holistic approach;
• Optimistic and positive outlook;
• Creative and innovative problem solver;
• Identify and navigate administrative rules and policies
• Effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills;
• Manage time efficiently to handle multiple tasks;
• Strong technology skills in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
How to Apply
Submit (1) your cover letter summarizing your reasons for applying for this position and your qualifications, (2) your resume detailing relevant experience, and (3) a list of at least three references to: Rodney Fong, either by mail to The John Marshall Law School, Attn: Associate Dean Rodney Fong, 315 South Plymouth Court, Chicago, Illinois 60604 or by email to email@example.com.
Salary: Based on experience.
Deadline: June 30, 2018
Questions should be directed to Associate Dean Rodney Fong at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-427-2737 ext. 312.
The John Marshall Law School, finding any invidious discrimination inconsistent with the mission of free academic inquiry, does not discriminate in admission, services, or employment on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic characteristics, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.