Friday, May 25, 2018
Assistant Director for Academic Development and Bar Programs
Department: Academic Support
Status: Full-time, 12-month, staff-level
Reports To: Director of Academic Support and Bar Programs
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic candidate to join our Academic Development Department. The ideal candidate will have experience with both bar preparation and academic support.
The Assistant Director for Academic Development and Bar Programs is a full-time, staff-level position. The Assistant Director assists the Director of Academic Development and Bar Programs in all aspects of Touro’s Academic Development programs including: working with students on an individual basis; coordinating and providing skills training workshops; developing appropriate student learning materials; maintaining records associated with bar tutoring and counseling programs; coordinating and teaching in Touro’s bar-preparation programs; and implementing new services related to enhancing our law students’ academic experience. Evening availability necessary; some weekend work.
● Counseling and working with students individually, regarding academic support and study skills;
● Developing, implementing, and teaching academic success workshops and other programs for 1L student and 2L students;
● Sharing in the creation, maintenance, and distribution of teaching materials in conjunction with the Director of Academic Development and Bar Programs;
● Assisting in implementing, and teaching in, programs related to bar exam preparation;
● One-on-one tutoring in Touro’s bar prep programs;
● Providing support for graduates during the bar review periods as they prepare for the bar exam;
● Assisting with the collection and analysis of data related to bar exam outcomes and bar exam materials;
● Maintaining records associated with bar preparation and counseling programs;
● Other duties related to academic support, success, retention, and bar preparation as assigned by the Director of Academic Development and Bar Programs.
Education, Preparation, and Training
Applicants must possess a J.D. degree with a record of high academic achievement from an ABA-accredited law school. Admission to the bar in at least one U.S. jurisdiction. At least one year of experience teaching academic support or bar preparation in a classroom setting, whether at the college or law school level, is highly recommended. Evening and some weekend work is required.
• Excellent writing, speaking, and organizational skills
• A demonstrated commitment to academic support
• Strong interpersonal communications skills are essential
• Sitting for long periods of time
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Please apply for the position at: https://touro.peopleadmin.com/postings/2610
Application Deadline: rolling application review
Touro Law Center is located in Central Islip, on the south shore of Long Island, an hour from New York City. Visit https://www.tourolaw.edu for more information about Touro Law Center.
Touro College is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. Our practices and employment decisions regarding employment, hiring, assignment, promotion, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment are not to be based on an employee's race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, military discharge status, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic predisposition, housing status, or any other protected status, in accordance with applicable law. Our policies are in conformance with Title IX, 1972 Education Amendments