Saturday, September 30, 2017
Assistant Director of Academic Support
The Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University invites applicants for the position of Assistant Director of Academic Support. The Academic Support Program assists J.D. and LL.M. students in the development of the critical skills necessary to succeed in law school, on the Bar Exam, and in practice. The successful candidate will report to the Director of Academic Support and will assist in designing and implementing all aspects of Hofstra’s established Academic Support Program including:
- Teaching first-year and upper-level classes and workshops;
- Assisting in planning and implementing first-year and upper-level programs;
- Providing individual writing, study and test-taking skills assistance and counseling;
- Identifying and assisting students who need additional academic support;
- Assisting in the development and implementation of bar exam preparation classes, programs and events;
- Assisting in the development and implementation of new services to enhance our students’ academic performance;
- Assisting in the compilation, maintenance and presentation of bar exam data and departmental database;
- Special projects as requested by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Director of Academic Support and Bar Preparation.
Minimum requirements are: a J.D.; a strong academic record; a background demonstrating a potential for excellence in academic support and/or bar exam preparation; an understanding of developments in legal pedagogy; strong organizational and interpersonal skills; the ability to work collaboratively with all members of the law school community; proficiency with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint; and excellent writing and speaking skills. The following are not required but would substantially enhance an application: experience in law school academic support programs or other relevant teaching experience (including experience as a teaching assistant during law school); and/or an advanced degree in education, psychology, counseling, or a related field. Law practice experience is helpful, but without teaching experience will generally not be sufficient. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Some evening hours are part of this position.
Application Instructions: Qualified and interested candidates may send a cover letter and resume via email to: Nicole R. Lefton, Esq., Director of Academic Support and Bar Preparation & Assistant Professor of Academic Support and Bar Preparation, email: LawSchoolJobs@hofstra.edu. Please include “Assistant Director of Academic Support” in the subject line.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.