Thursday, May 15, 2014
Valparaiso University Law School invites applicants for the position of Academic Success Counselor.
Valparaiso University Law School is located in northwest Indiana and is part of a residential community with excellent public schools and other resources. It is approximately ten miles from Lake Michigan and the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore as well as one hour from downtown Chicago.
The law school is an integral part of Valparaiso University, a Lutheran affiliated institution founded in 1859 and known for its outstanding liberal arts education and professional programs. For more information about Valparaiso University Law School, see .
Valparaiso University is looking for an Academic Success Counselor. The duties of the position include, but are not limited to, teaching academic study skills to currently enrolled Valparaiso University law students, counseling students on academic and bar exam success skills and attorney licensing requirements, and advising graduates studying for the bar examination.
· Assists in counseling and advising new students, students on academic probation, students "at risk", and any other student seeking to improve academic performance and/or other academic issues including course scheduling, social influences, etc. Assist students in developing individualized learning plans and monitor progress throughout the semester.
· Tracks the academic progress of "at-risk" and academic probation students through detailed note taking.
· Designs lesson plans and present workshops, tutorials, and programs on topics such as analytical skills, learning styles, time management skills, case briefing, note taking, outlining, exam preparation, and exam taking. Evaluate the success of these programs through student evaluations and other means.
· In conjunction with the Directors of Academic Success, directs the Dean's Fellow's program. Recruits, trains, and supervises the Dean's fellows. Evaluates the success of the program through student evaluations and other means.
· Assists students in reviewing answers to practice exams and provides advice regarding exam strategy, including bar exam essays and strategies.
· Assists the Directors in maintaining the Academic Success website.
· Assist in bar exam coaching.
· Perform all other duties assigned by the Directors of Academic Success.
· Cover letter
· List of 3 professional references
· Answer all the application questions
Deondra Devitt, Assistant Director, Human Resource Generalist
Valparaiso University, School of Law
Valparaiso, IN 46383
· Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
· Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with faculty, staff, law school affiliates and guests
· Ability to use initiative and independent judgment withing established policy and procedural guidelines
· Ability to handle and keep confidential a variety of different student questions and concerns
· J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school with a strong academic record is required
· 1 to 3 years of legal experience is preferred
· At least one (1) year of academic experience in either law school teaching, counseling, or bar exam tutoring is preferred
· Must be a member of a state bar who has successfully completed a bar examination
· Strong academic and professional qualifications, as well as a demonstrated interest in teaching students with diverse backgrounds
Valparaiso, Indiana, United States