Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Assistant Dean of Student Affairs – UCLA School of Law
JOB SUMMARY STATEMENT
The Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs and Student Services, also known as the Dean of Students, provides strategic leadership for law school programs and services that foster the academic success and professional development of students enrolled at the law school. The incumbent cultivates an environment of mutual respect and appreciation of diversity among students. Key responsibilities of this position include: serving as a liaison for students with faculty and administration; advising and supporting students in their academic development; overseeing implementation of reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities; overseeing student organizations; implementing academic standards; formulating new policies affecting student conduct or academic options; overseeing student welfare and discipline; and overseeing the creation and support for procedures and programs that promote diversity, foster an inclusive environment, and enrich law students in their professional development.
The Assistant Dean reports to the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Curriculum and works in a collaborative relationship with other offices within the law school and campus, the faculty and the legal community. The candidate directly supervises the Assistant Director of Academic Affairs, and the Assistant Director of Student Services.
Discretion and independent judgment are required of this position. Some travel may be required to attend on and off campus events during and outside normal business hours.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
· Juris Doctoratedegreeor theequivalentdegreedesired.
· Senior levelmanagement experienceandskill in programreviewand development, institutional assessmentprocesses, andinter-unitcoordination.
· Seventotenyears ofexperienceworking ina positionwith increasing responsibility, preferably atan institutionof higher education.
· Demonstratedabilitytoeffectappreciationofdiversity, inter-cultural competencyand experienceinfosteringthose values instudents, staffand facultyinaconcreteand pragmatic way.
· Demonstrated skill in academic advising for all students, but particularly students in the academic support program.
· Advancedknowledgeof theoveralllawschool academic cycle, witha clear understandingof curriculum, financialaid, law school and American Bar Association policies and procedures.
· Abilitytoestablish andmaintaineffective, collaborativerelationships andenlistsupport ofall levelsoffaculty, staff, students, campus administrators andcommunityconstituencies, inorder tomobilizea teameffort toaccomplish programgoals.
· Demonstratedabilityto deal with andresolveconceptual, administrativeand public relations issues.
· Advanced knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act and compliance requirements.
· Skill in developing andimplementingsuccessful strategies toprovideexceptionalstudentand facultyservices.
The link to apply is listed below: