Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Valparaiso University Law School is pleased to announce an opening for the position of Academic Success Counselor. Those interested may contact Bethany Lesniewski, Director of Academic Success, with any questions regarding this position, but should apply formally through the Human Resources website: https://valpocareers.silkroad.com/.
Please see below for the position description or click the link to the job posting: https://valpo-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=45&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=992273&company_id=16674&version=1&byBusinessUnit=NULL&bycountry=0&bystate=0&bylocation=&keywords=&byCat=&proximityCountry=&postalCode=&radiusDistance=&isKilometers=&tosearch=yes
Valparaiso University Law School
Valparaiso University Law School invites applicants for the position of Academic Success Counselor.
Valparaiso University Law School is located in Northwest Indiana and is part of a residential community with excellent public schools and other resources. It is approximately ten miles from Lake Michigan and the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore as well as one hour from downtown Chicago.
The law school is an integral part of Valparaiso University, a Lutheran affiliated institution founded in 1859 and known for its outstanding liberal arts education and professional programs. For more information about Valparaiso University Law School, see http://www.valpo.edu/law.
Valparaiso University Law School is looking for an Academic Success Counselor. The duties of the position include, but are not limited to, teaching academic study skills to currently enrolled Valparaiso University law students, counseling students on academic and bar exam success skills and attorney licensing requirements, and advising graduates studying for the bar examination.
- Assists in counseling and advising new students, students on academic probation, students "at risk", and any other student seeking to improve academic performance and/or other academic issues including course scheduling social influences, etc.
- Prepares and presents academic success workshops for 1L students during the fall and spring semesters. Assists in planning and executing new student orientation.
- Develops lesson plans and teaches the Legal Method course for 1L students on academic probation.
- In conjunction with the Director of Academic Success, directs the Dean's Fellow's program. Recruits, trains, and supervises the Dean's fellows. Evaluates the success of the program through student evaluations and other means.
- Assists students in reviewing answers to practice exams and provides advice regarding exam strategy, including bar exam essays and strategies.
- Tracks the academic progress of "at risk" students on academic probation. Assists the Director in maintaining the Academic Success website.
- Perform all other duties assigned by the Director of Academic Success.
Please upload cover letter, resume and professional references when applying for this position.
Cover letters may be addressed to:
Bethany Lesniewski, Director of Academic Success
School of Law
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Employment will require a background check.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school with a strong academic record is required.
- Have at least one (1) year of academic experience in either law school teaching, counseling, or bar exam tutoring is preferred.
- Must be a member of a state bar who has successfully completed a bar examination.
- Strong academic and professional qualifications, as well as a demonstrated interest in teaching students with diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with faculty, staff, law school affiliates and guests.
- Ability to use initiative and independent judgment within established policy and procedural guidelines.
- Ability to handle and keep confidential a variety of different student questions and concerns.
Valparaiso, Indiana, United States