Wednesday, June 13, 2012
We look forward to seeing you at the LSAC AATW in Denver this week! The line-up of speakers and presentations looks great. And it is always a blessing to see colleagues we have known for years and to meet new colleagues in ASP. Thank you to Kent Lollis, the Planning Committee, the staff at LSAC, and our colleagues at U of Denver for all of their hard work in putting together this conference. Safe travels for everyone.
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO SCHOOL OF LAW – DIRECTOR OF ACADEMIC SUCCESS POSITION:
The Director, Academic Success Programs, reports directly to the Assistant Dean for J.D. Student Affairs and is responsible for contributing to a positive student experience by providing oversight of the many academic support programs at USD. The Director works in a collaborative relationship with all law school students, faculty, administrative offices, and university offices and actively participates in coordinating all aspects of the academic support programs. The Director is expected to market the ASP programs and actively engage in outreach to all students. The Director will also be assigned an instructor position in the area of academic support and/or bar preparation programming. The ability to provide timely and accurate communication to students is an essential component of this position. This position requires occasional attendance at on and off campus events during and outside normal business hours. Some travel may be required.
Works under the general supervision of the Assistant Dean for J.D. Student Affairs. For instructional assignments, also works under the general supervision of the Vice Dean. Minimal direct supervision of regular, full-time employees, but directly hires, trains and supervises law student learning assistants (approx. 12-15 per semester). Administrative support provided by a part-time Executive Assistant with occasional additional support from the Coordinator, JD Student Affairs.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Develop and manage a comprehensive program in academic success
- Provide one-on-one academic counseling to JD Students
- Teach course(s) designed to Increase Bar Exam and/or Legal Analysis Skills
- Assist with Bar Exam Advisement and Preparation
- Perform administrative duties
- JD degree required. Admission to state bar required.
- Experience teaching, providing workshops, or trainings is required. Teaching experience in a university setting preferred.
- Minimum of two to three years professional experience required. Prior experience working within a law school academic support program strongly preferred.
- Academic counseling or advising experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail is critical.
- Proven skills in written and oral communication.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in an academic or professional setting.
- Ability to handle confidential information, exhibit good judgment, and exemplify appropriate customer service in working with students, faculty, and all levels of university staff and officials.
- Ability to prioritize workload effectively and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to take initiative in managing projects and ability to develop and keep to time lines.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to be proactive with respect to suggestions for improving all aspects of the programs
- Strong computer skills for spreadsheet reporting, word-processing, database maintenance, web-design and maintenance. Minimum of intermediate experience with Word, Excel and MS Outlook required. Experience with web content development preferred.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Finance & Administration: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week. Monday - Friday; 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closing date: June 21, 2012
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.