July 28, 2011
Positions Open at Whittier for Graduate Fellows in Academic Support
Graduate Fellow in Academic Support at Whittier Law School
Whittier’s Academic Support Program provides supplemental academic services to Whittier students in their first and second years that improve academic performance and develop the skills necessary for law school success.
Whittier Law School currently seeks two Graduate Fellows in academic support. The Graduate Fellows hold a one year, full time, non-tenure track position and report to the Director of Academic Services. The Director of Academic Services, in consultation with the Dean, determines whether to continue a Fellowship beyond the one-year term as well as any extension or reformation of responsibilities.
Graduate Fellowships will begin in early to mid-August 2011.
The successful candidate must demonstrate a commitment to and understanding of academic support and have the requisite knowledge to implement the academic support program as defined by the department. Applicants must have public speaking experience or competence or demonstrate a willingness to acquire such experience and competence. Applicants must possess the ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with students, staff and faculty.
A successful candidate must demonstrate initiative and possess the ability to work independently and collaboratively with students, staff and faculty from diverse backgrounds. Applicants also must understand the importance of student confidentiality and privacy, possess excellent organizational skills, evidence a strong attention to detail and the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and related deadlines.
Candidates must have earned a law degree from an ABA accredited law school and be admitted to practice or awaiting bar examination results.
Duties include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Individual meetings with students to review skill and substantive material, particularly those students on academic notice or identified by professors as in need of academic assistance.
- Conduct skill based workshops for first year students throughout the academic year.
- Assist in teaching and grading the second year Legal Methods I and II courses, which includes the opportunity to guest lecture and provide individualized feedback to students on their written work.
- Assist the Director in the maintenance of the ASP records and filing systems with attention to student confidentiality and privacy. Assist the Director in tracking the academic progress of individual students and in updating and maintaining requisite spreadsheets and files.
- Review student answers to practice exams, and provide students exam performance evaluation and with advice on exam strategy.
- Assist the Director in the maintenance of the Academic Support website and blog.
- Assist the Director in the plans for and implementation of ASP contributions to new student orientations.
Resumes and cover letters may be sent to Director of ASP Jenny Homer at email@example.com
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Positions Open at Whittier for Graduate Fellows in Academic Support :