Thursday, July 7, 2011
Florida Coastal School of Law (Coastal Law) is seeking an Academic Success Counselor.
Coastal Law offers a professional and pleasant work environment for its employees in addition to offering a competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package. Please submit any questions or cover letters and resumes to HR@fcsl.edu.
The Academic Success Counselor is responsible for working with students seeking to improve academic performance or experiencing academic difficulty. The Counselor performs additional academic support functions essential to promoting students’ success in law school and to the success and growth of the institution. The position is a full-time non tenure-track academic staff position and carries no voting privileges. This position reports to the Director, Academic Success.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assists in counseling and advising students at various academic stages seeking to improve academic performance and/or with other academic issues including course scheduling, social influences, etc.
- Facilitates Law School Foundations Seminar with team to include developing lesson plans, presenting weekly classes, and evaluating the progress of assigned first-semester students. Evaluates the success of the program through student evaluations and other means.
- Assists students in reviewing answers to practice exams (including bar exam essays) and provides advice regarding exam strategy
- Researches and explores an individual “specialty area” relating to academic success.
- Assists in preparing and presenting the second-semester and upper level Academic Success power workshops.
- Tracks the academic progress of students. Updates and maintains spreadsheets used for tracking.
- In conjunction with other members of the Academic Success Team, recruits, trains, and supervises student Law School Foundations Assistants. Evaluates the success of the program through student evaluations and other means.
- Assists in planning and executing New Student Orientation
- Assists Academic Success Team in maintaining Academic Success website
- Attends meetings as necessary within the law school.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Applicant must be a licensed attorney with one to three years of legal experience.
- Prior academic support experience (either professional or as part of a graduate or law school program) or teaching experience (i.e., legal writing or comparable teaching experience in writing and analytical skills training) is preferred.
Job Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Self-starter with service orientation, ability to work independently and maintain confidential information.
- Must relate well to students and have strong interpersonal skills – ability to communicate professionally through both verbal and written means.
- Create effective and persuasive workshops on various Academic Success topics.
- Work as a team player - collaboratively and collegially with faculty, staff, students, and administrators from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite, especially Excel and Power Point. The ability to adapt to new systems.
- Excellent organizational skills, with strong attention to detail, to manage multiple priorities under tight deadlines
- Possess a professional, rigorous, respectful, supportive, energetic and reliable commitment to students.
- Ability and desire to comprehend and work for the Florida Coastal School of Law’s unique philosophy, strategic plan, goals, and doctrine.
Coastal Law is an equal employment opportunity employer.