Monday, March 22, 2010
Vermont Law School (VLS), a private, independent law school located on the banks of the beautiful White River in South Royalton, VT, and the nation’s #1 environmental law program (US News & World Report), is looking for an outstanding, team-oriented individual who is motivated by the ability to make an immediate and sustained contribution in the workplace and the community. We are looking for a talented person to join us in the following position:
Director, Academic Success Program
The Director of Academic Success Program designs, develops, implements, and oversees the academic support program. The Director develops and executes classes and workshops, either directly or through subordinates, to improve the skills of the students necessary to be successful in their legal studies and pass the bar exam. This includes students in the JD, MELP and LLM programs at Vermont Law School.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Design and implement strategies to assist all students, particularly high risk students and students in academic difficulty, to be successful in their legal studies.
- Responsible for all administrative duties associated with the bar exam, including but not limited to: coordination with the Director of Career Services to report bar passage statistics to the ABA, reporting programs and initiatives to the trustees, maintaining student records in regard to bar exam.
- Responsible for curriculum design and implementation of Advanced Legal Analysis course. Design, implement and, at times, deliver workshops, speaker series, and informational resources for all bar takers (i.e., TWEN, bulletin boards, flyers, emails) including summer support program for July bar takers.
- Coordinate services of commercial bar prep (i.e. Bar/Bri, KaplanPMBR) companies with student and VLS needs .
- Working in conjunction with the Asst. Dean of Academic Affairs, and the Asst. Director of ASP to ensure implementation of approved reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.
- Hire, train and supervise academic success program staff including the Asst Dir, Program Coordinator, and Student Mentors.
- Manage the general operations of the department including the budget, short and long-term departmental goals, metrics, and strategies, and coordination of offerings within the department and with other departments and individual faculty members.
- Assist Assoc. Dean of Student Affairs & Diversity in the design and implementation of orientation activities for incoming students (i.e. the academic component of orientation programs).
- Provide individual counseling and tutoring for students with regard to study habits, skills, tools for improvement, time management, outlining, exam preparation, etc.
- JD degree and license to practice law in any US state
- Teaching experience in higher education environment
- Experience in the actual practice of law
- Knowledge of ADA, FERPA
- Training in learning theories
- Knowledge of legal analytical and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
For more information on these and other positions, please visit our website at www.vermontlaw.edu.
Send a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to Human Resources, Vermont Law School, P.O. Box 96, South Royalton, VT 05068 or to email@example.com.
Vermont Law School is an equal opportunity employer.