Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Director of Academic Support
University of Iowa College of Law
The University of Iowa College of Law seeks applications for a full-time Director of Academic Support beginning with the 2008-09 academic year.
The College of Law is an intimate, collegial and dynamic professional community located in an affordable university town with vibrant range of academic and cultural endeavors. The Director of Academic Support will administer and advance the current Academic Achievement Program which principally supports first-year-law students as they develop legal reading, study and test-taking skills.
The Director will work with law school faculty and administrative staff to create and present first-year orientation and related programming, and coordinate a year-long peer mentoring program. As part of the Student Services team, the Director will also contribute to the design and implementation of programming to enhance the professional development of second- and third-year students as they make curricular choices, sharpen their academic skills and prepare to take a bar examination. The Director may assume other duties related to law Student Services, such as participation in the Hubbard Law School Preparation Program and work with students for whom English is a second language. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Required qualifications and experience:
- A juris doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school; an equivalent combination of education and experience is required;
- Admission to a state bar;
- Ability to create and present programs to address challenges of law school;
- Considerable (3-5) years experience in program management is required;
- Demonstrated ability to counsel, advise and instruct people from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to collaborate with faculty, staff and students to enhance effectiveness of the Academic Achievement Program; and
- Excellence in writing and public speaking.
Preferred qualifications and experience:
- Demonstrated excellence and experience in administering and evaluating an academic support program within a law school;
- Legal practice, clerkship or other experience related to the practice of law;
- Knowledge of significant scholarship in Academic Support; and
- Ability and excellence in teaching.
To apply, visit Jobs at University of Iowa by May 23, 2008 and refer to requisition # 55356.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.