Friday, January 11, 2008
Bar Passage Counselor
CharlotteLaw is the first law school in North Carolina's most populous city located in one of the fastest growing regions in the country on the border with South Carolina. Charlotte is a dynamic, rapidly growing, international city which offers a rich array of family, educational, sports/recreational, cultural, and other opportunities. We are currently seeking dynamic, creative, team oriented and student-centered individuals to join our fast growing Team.
The school is a member of The InfiLaw System, a consortium of independent law schools committed to making legal education more responsive to the realities of new career dynamics. Its mission is to establish student-centered, American Bar Association (ABA) accredited law schools in underserved markets that graduate students with practice-ready skills, and achieve true diversity programs aimed at student academic and career success.
The Bar Passage Counselor will develop and implement a support program designed to improve skills relating to bar passage; will counsel students regarding options for bar study and will monitor bar passage rates. The Bar Passage Counselor will have principle responsibility of developing bar passage workshops and a bar passage course.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teach a North Carolina Bar studies course, incorporating South Carolina bar studies to extent appropriate. • Review and provide feedback to students regarding the bar exam.
- Create and maintain statistical information on each examinee, including UGPA, LGPA, LSAT, and other predictors use to forecast probability of bar passage.
- Prepare and present various Bar Prep Workshops.
- Arrange for speakers to present at the school’s bar prep workshop series.
- Attend each North Carolina Bar Exam administration and South Carolina bar exam administrations to extent appropriate.
- Prepare and oversee the Bar Prep budget.
- Performs other academic support functions essential to promoting students’ success in law school and to the success and growth of the institution.
- Teaches other related courses as assigned by the Associate Dean.
- Juris Doctor Degree from an approve ABA accredited law school.
- Successful passage of the North Carolina Bar Exam required; passage also of the South Carolina Bar Exam a plus, but not required.
- Must be highly motivated and possess personal initiative and drive.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required due to high level of interaction with students, employers and other professionals
- A strong commitment to CharlotteLaw’s mission pillars of student centeredness, practice ready and serving the underserved.
- Bar related experience preferred.
- Post-secondary teaching experience preferred.
This position is a full-time academic staff position. The Counselor will report to the Associate Dean for Students. CharlotteLaw offers a professional and pleasant work environment for all employees in addition to offering a competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package. Please visit www.charlottelaw.org to learn more about our institution.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a letter of interest, a resume, the names of three current professional references (including addresses and phone numbers) to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to: Charlotte School of Law, Human Resources, 1211 E. Morehead St., Charlotte, NC 28204
CharlotteLaw is an equal employment opportunity employer. Inquiries welcome from qualified candidates.