Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Roger Williams University School of Law is looking for a new Assistant Dean of Students. The job posting is below. (dbw)
Assistant Dean of Students
Roger Williams University School of Law, in Bristol, RI, invites applications for the position of
Assistant Dean of Students. Start date is scheduled for June 1, 2007. This is a full-time, nontenure
track, administrative position.
Responsible for advising, counseling, and generally serving as an advocates and liaison for
students on issues relating to their law school experience, the Assistant Dean serves the needs of
students inside and outside the classroom, while providing services and information to students
navigating the complex realities of law school life. The Assistant Dean reports directly to the
Dean and is a member of the Dean’s Senior Staff.
In particular, the Assistant Dean provides law students with academic and non-academic
counseling and assists with referrals to resources on and off-campus; assists with issues of
performance, adjustment concerns, stress reduction, and other personal matters; develops and
coordinates Orientation and Pre-Orientation programming; attends and participates in many law
school functions on and off campus; works closely with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
on a range of student-centered academic matters and supervises Academic Support personnel and
programs. The Assistant Dean processes student requests for educational accommodations based
on handicap or disability while providing assistance, counseling, programs, and support to
students from diverse backgrounds.
The successful candidate will have:
• a strong educational record, academic and otherwise;
• a J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school;
• membership in good standing in a state bar association;
• at least five years of professional experience in a law-related setting;
• ability to work well with a diverse student body;
• ability to work collaboratively with faculty and staff;
• ability to manage multiple priorities under deadlines;
• managerial and supervisory experience;
• accessibility to Senior Staff and students during and outside of normal hours of law
school operation; and
• ability to handle highly sensitive matters with complete discretion.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in student services (law school student
services experience is highly desirable).
Roger Williams University offers an outstanding benefits package and salary commensurate with
experience. Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume to: Human Resources,
Roger Williams University, One Old Ferry Road, Bristol, RI 02809 or
firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Ref. # 07-123.
Roger Williams University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive excellence and
encourages applications from underrepresented populations.